Innervations in Perming Techniques
PERM: YOUR SPRING
If we’ve ever had dreams about having bouncy, soft curls every day or having straight, frizz-free hair when we woke up in the morning, then hair perms makes this dream come to life! Hair perming is a type of treatment that sets the hair in curls by treating it with chemicals. This treatment will last for several months. A perm might actually be the secret to attaining those exclusive ‘I woke up like this’ supermodel waves with no effort.
Perms work well on almost all hair types and textures. The process can take two hours depending on the length of our hair. It can last up to six months and it will grow out beautifully with our own hair texture. Our hair needs to be healthy and strong to handle the chemical treatment its about to undergo for the curls to be held in place. Un-dyed hair is in the best condition for a perming treatment. The curling rods can be placed in a totally different direction to create either tight curls or loose waves that suits our hair texture. After getting the treatment done we need to invest in a great conditioner to make sure our curls stay hydrated. Even with perms done, we can blow-dry and style our hair.
Depending on the size of the perm rods and the applied technique, a perm will either create more volume at the roots or create curls all through the length of the hair. As a general rule, the larger the perm rods, the larger the waves will be. Larger permanent waves tend to lose their shape faster than smaller curls. Perm styles creates the most appealing undone looks, the trendiest afros or simply gives lots and lots of volume.
Key Factors of Our Hair Perm
Dependent on our desired look we can get a hot perm or a cold perm.
Types of Perms
Japanese and Korean Perms: These two forms of Korean perms are not actual perms but rather are the variations of the hot perm styles above. Korean perms gives more defined curls for a weightier look, Japanese perms usually has a wavy, tousled style.
Conditions for Hair Perming
Not only does the hair need to be healthy and strong, perms are also not recommended if our hair is short or has a lot of layers. Since the curl can often look pretty dramatic on short hair, the extreme curl can often leave us looking like a poodle (and that too for several months!). Making sure our hair is at the right length for a perm is definitely a huge thing to consider before getting one done.
The Pros of Perming Hair
- It will make our hair look better
- It will bulk up our hair. If our goal is to boost the volume then perming will definitely be the best possible way to achieve it.
- It will reduce the need to style our hair. Think about all the things we will not need to do including using a curling iron daily, like that we can save a lot of time and get more sleep.
The Cons of Perming Hair
- We can’t wash hair after perming, we’ve to wait at least a day or two before we get our hair wet. Or else it’ll loosen the curls.
- Our hair can become dry and frizzy. If we have dry and brittle hair then perming will further dry our hair. Perming chemically damage the outer layer of the hair, which causes dryness and frizz.
- We won’t be able to change styles easily. We will have to get used to the way we look after getting a perm.
- Our hair can be weakened. Permed hair is weak mainly because the S-S protein bonds of our hair are reformed when exposed to chemicals used during a perm. What it actually means is possible hair breakage, more split ends and less natural moisture for our hair.
How to Care for Permed Hair
Before we perm, it is best to deep-condition our hair to prepare it for the damage it will go through during the treatment, we should start days or even weeks before our perming appointment. After perming, we should remember to condition our hair daily and try to have a weekly treatment in order to restore moisture levels of hair especially if we’ve undergone a hot perm.
Following are a List of Things to do in Order to Maintain the Beautiful Locks After we Perm
- We should use a shampoo specific for curls and curl enhancement. Also, we can use deep cleansing shampoos to prevent dry scalps and bust product build-up.
- The best way to maintain healthy and shiny curls are by deep conditioning treatments. Try a conditioner with protein and minerals.
- We have to stop applying creamy formulas to the hair which end up weighing down our curls. But if we’re using a cream or gel to help hold our curl, we can try alternating the curl-enhancing shampoo with the cleansing one.
- We should not towel dry the hair as this causes frizz and tangles. Rather we can use an old cotton t-shirt that soaks up moisture more effectively after a shower.
- The less heat the better! We should avoid drying hair with a blow dryer or straightening it with an iron. Heat styling causes appearance of split-ends much faster in perms. This means that our curls break up sooner than we’d want it to. Still if we need to use one, we should coat our hair with a heat protectant.
- To maintain healthy curls, we must avoid hair products that are made with alcohol and silicones. Alcohol can dry out our hair fast, leaving it brittle and frizzy thus ruining the perm. Silicones wear heavy, making hair greasy and weighed-down.
- We should get a trim every 3-4 months. Because when our hair is too long and heavy, the curls will lose their bounce.
- We should wear a swimming cap if we’ve to go swimming and stay away from chlorinated water to protect our newly formed locks.
- We need to wait at least two to three days before washing the hair, since the curls need time to set, or else the curls will become lose.
- For tighter curls, we need to keep our hair in a braid for a while. Instead of brushing the hair, we can use fingers to gently divide the hair.
- Avoid highlights, dyes, and any other chemical treatment for at least a month after the perm.
These are vital steps to maintaining the curls. If only these steps are followed properly, our hair will keep its desired shape for several months.
When you’re born with naturally straight hair then you might have always desired to get that perfect voluminous hair. If that sounds like you, then hair perms are the best choice!
BELLISIMOS + PERMING
Get Your Perm on at your Cardiff Hair Salon!